Learn how to import an estimate file from one of the supported estimating platforms or the Join spreadsheet import template
The easiest way to get a Milestone Estimate or Budget data into Join is by using one of the supported estimating platforms (Sage, WinEst, DESTINI) or the Join spreadsheet import template. Using one of these methods provides the most streamlined step-by-step process. Importing an estimate or budget goes through three stages:
- Importing a Milestone Estimate or Budget
- Reviewing and Updating Direct Costs and Markups
- Publishing the Estimate or Budget
Importing a Milestone Estimate or Budget
- Click the Milestones tab in the top navigation bar
- Create a new Milestone or select an existing one
- Click the Estimate or Budget tab, depending on which is being imported
- Drag & drop the estimate file into the import area or click Select a File to browse for the file. Once the imported file has been uploaded and processed, the Import Estimate dialog will display.
- If using Join’s built-in MasterFormat and UniFormat, map them to the appropriate WBS code in the estimate file and click the Next button. If not, just click the Next button.
- Select which other WBS Codes should be imported and click the Next button
- If necessary, adjust the mapping of the WBS Codes to existing or new Categorizations in the Project and click the Next button
- Reorder the Categorizations to the order they will appear in the Estimate or Budget table by clicking the double lines on the left and dragging it into the correct location and click the Next button
- If the estimate file contains a detailed cost breakdown, an option to select what Cost Breakdown level is imported will be displayed. Select a cost breakdown and click the Next button to finalize the import process
Reviewing and Updating Direct Costs and Markups
Once imported, review the estimate data, filter by any Category, adjust cost information as necessary, and correct any Categorization errors (individually or in batch) in the Edit Estimate view.
Markups are often overlooked when importing an estimate. Review them by selecting the Milestone Markups section in the Edit Estimate view.
Caution: When importing, remember to add references in the Applies to... column for percent-based Markups, as these are not included as part of the import.
Get a visual preview of the Milestone breakdown by selecting the Preview Milestone Report view.
Publishing the Estimate or Budget
Now that the estimate is in tip-top shape and mirrors what was in the estimating platform, it is time to publish the estimate and make it available to the rest of the project team.
- Click the Publish button in the top right corner
- Click Ok in the Publish new estimate dialog box
Note: If the Milestone was created as a draft, it would also have to be published to make it visible to the project team.