Explore potential paths forward for a project with the use of Scenarios. Once you select the desired Scenario, apply the changes to your project.
Scenarios allow you to model and present potential outcomes with Status changes to existing Items or new Items specific to a Scenario. This allows you to display a "What if situation" without impacting the Cost Trendline or the Item's change history. The net impact of a scenario is presented by the Scenario Changes along with the new Accepted Changes value and Projected Running Total. These can be compared to the Current Base Milestone and other Scenarios.
Tip: If you have similar Scenarios, you can build one and copy it to save time in building out the others.
Creating a Scenario
- Navigate to the Scenarios tab
- Click the + Create a new Scenario button
- Select either Start with a blank scenario (where you drag over the Items you want to include), or Copy items from base milestone (for the full list of Items as they sit currently in the project)
- Enter a name and description for the Scenario
Note: Scenarios are private to the individual creator, meaning no one else on the project will be able to see or collaborate on the Scenarios you create.
Creating a Scenario Item
After creating a Scenario, you can create new Items that only affect that Scenario. Click the + New Scenario Item button at the top of the Scenario and create the Item the same way you would in your main project. New Scenario Items can be identified by the New tag to the left of the Item.
Presenting a Scenario
When you are ready to present scenarios to the team, select the presentation mode at the top of the Scenarios page.
The view will focus on the changes made in each scenario for an easier comparison. You can turn off the baseline to directly compare two potential paths forward or have multiple scenarios open to compare.
Applying a Scenario
When you are done creating and evaluating your Scenarios, you can apply the Scenario to your project by clicking the Apply button at the bottom of the chosen Scenario. Applying a Scenario will make the following changes:
- Change the Item status of all Items in that Scenario (if changes were made)
- Adjust the Accepted Changes and Running Total values on the project based on the values of the Accepted Items
- Publish the newly created Scenario Items
- Update the Item change history for all affected Items
Caution: Applying a Scenario cannot be undone. Make sure to review all changes with your team in detail before applying a Scenario.